GRFC - AGM 1874

By John Cowen

The following report appeared in the Gloucester Journal, Saturday 10th October 1874:

“GLOUCESTER FOOTBALL CLUB

This club held its general meeting at the Spread Eagle Hotel, on Monday last, for the purpose of electing the officers for the coming season, and transacting the general business of the club. A satisfactory balance sheet was produced, and from the statements of the chairman (Mr F Hartley) it appeared that the club was in a prosperous condition. It was, however, strongly urged on those present that to ensure a successful season, and to enable the club to cope with their neighbours at Hereford, Worcester, and elsewhere, it was most important that the number of playing members should be increased. We may mention that the entrance fee has been abolished, so that for the future the subscription of all playing members will be only 5s. It was further stated that there will always be a game at the Spa Cricket Ground on Fridays, except when the club is engaged in a home or foreign match. The meeting, which was well attended, then proceeded to elect the officers. Messrs Frank Hartley and J P Riddiford were unanimously re-elected to the captaincy and secretaryship, Mr Crawley accepted the office of treasurer, and the following were placed on the committee: Messrs E F Lynch Blosse, J Bryan, H Jewesbury, W A Lucy, W G Bosley, W A Boughton, E T Gardom, and A Macdonald.”

This page was added by Dick Williams on 21/02/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.